Professional Semester/Student Teaching
Upon satisfactory completion of the Junior-level Education courses, students are expected to apply for placement as student teachers and enter the professional semester. During the student teaching semester, students register for a student teaching requirement. Courses taken with student teaching require advisor approval.
Application for Student Teaching
Applications for student teaching should be submitted in the Spring semester of the Junior year (deadline: February 1) prior to the year of student teaching. Admission to student teaching requires that the student meet these requirements:
- Be formally admitted into the School of Education
- Attain and submit passing scores as determined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education on the appropriate tests
- Present evidence of having successfully completed the required field experiences as outlined in the School of Education Handbook
- Obtain passing grades for both semesters of the Junior practicum and satisfactory reports from both field placement supervisors
- Demonstrate a disposition that is conducive to effective teaching (participation in support services provided by the Counseling Center or through the psychology staff may be required)
- Obtain a minimum grade of C in the basic University writing course (ENGL 101, 102), speech course (ENGL 115), mathematics courses (MATH 121 and MATH 122 or higher), and a literature course (ENGL 201)
- Obtain a minimum grade of C in all Education course requirements and have an overall GPA of 2.8
- Obtain a minimum grade of C for all courses in the area of concentration and submit satisfactory recommendations by the school that represents the applicant’s field of concentration. (This applies to all Secondary Education majors)
- All students must submit to the Field Placement Office (ETC 441 or ETC 442) a current TB test, PA Child Abuse Clearance (ACT 151), PA Criminal Background Check (ACT 34), Federal Criminal History Records (ACT 114/Fingerprinting), and a completed Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (ACT 24) as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
The Director of Field Placements and the Certification Specialist review applications for student teaching based on the above factors. Students are accepted and placed if they have met the above criteria. If students do not meet the above criteria, remedial activities may be required or the student may be excluded from completing the required student teaching course in their field.