Travel Expense and Reimbursement Policy
Substantiation – Receipts and Documentation
The IRS requires that requests for reimbursements to individuals be substantiated with original receipts. For online purchases, a screen print of the confirmation screen or email acknowledgement is acceptable.
The following are examples of acceptable documentation:
- Meals – meals are reimbursable up to $70 a day, with original receipts. A chit torn from a receipt is not acceptable – the receipt must show the detail of the meal purchased.
- Lodging – hotel statement or folio
- Rental car – rental agency invoice
- Mileage – documentation of distance traveled – mapquest or similar
- Taxi - receipt
- Airfare – original passenger receipt or electronic ticket receipt
The following expenses are considered de minimis, and do not require receipts:
- Meals under $10.00